Fall Trend Breakdown•
Posted on September 07 2016
In anticipation of the ever trendsetting New York fashion week coming up, we’ve scoured Elle, Glamour, InStyle, and Vogue to determine the most talked-about and hottest trends of this fall season! Fashion magazines pulled mostly from Paris Fashion Week for autumn inspiration, and because some of the runway outfits can be a little too editorial for realistic, everyday wearability, we have consolidated our list to the most wearable trends of the season.
For those ladies who want comfort without sacrificing style, and vice versa, this year is your year! Wonderfully soft, plush velvets and warm, cozy oversized sweats are very in. Browse below for more 2016 fall trends—some of which may surprise you as much as they did us!
Fairest of the Land | The Renaissance Woman
- Velvet – a sumptuous and decadent fabric that will make the “every woman” look like nobility!
V e l v e t T o p s
1. Crushed Velvet Jacket by Lida Baday
2. Velvet Three Button Blazer by Dana Buchman
3. Velvet Blazer by Max Mara
V e l v e t B o t t o m s
1. The Vamp Ankle Slit Jeans by Mother
2. Le Garcon Velvet Jeans by Frame
3. Wide Leg Velvet Ankle Pant by Eileen Fisher
4. Velvet Pencil Skirt by Black Tie Oleg Cassini
- Bell sleeves – Look regal and majestic in a blouse or gown with majestically flowing bell sleeves.
Nashville Bell Dress by ASTARS
- Corsets (check out For The Adventurous on how to wear)
Fall in Love with Fall Accessories
- Purses with embellished straps
- Chokers (or something similar, like a ribbon necktie or bow blouse)
Tess Washed Silk Blouse by Hunter Bell
This Is Our Fight Song | The Pantsuit à la Hillary Clinton
- Pinstripes, which lengthen and slim
Pinstripe Suiting Jacket by Cynthia Steffe
Pinstripe Suiting Pant by Cynthia Steffe
Pinstripe Skirt Suit by To The Max
Huggable, Snuggable Sweats
- Oversized hoodies – So... You’re telling me that I can wear my lazy day, stay-at-home-and-nap clothes out in public? Yes. Yes, I am! This fall, you’ll look very lounge chic and ‘90s retro in an extra large hoodie and slouchy pants.
Cotton Blend Hoodie by Kristensen du Nord
- Boxy/slouchy pants
Slouchy Ankle Pant by Eileen Fisher
Slouchy Seamed Pant by Bella Luxx
- Sophisticated/modern jumpers - for a more polished look
- Look sleek in a leather trench.
Darby Leather Trimmed Trench Jacket by Mackage
- Be a shear(ling) genius in an aviator-inspired bomber jacket.
Diamond Print Bomber Jacket by Karlie
Lace Bomber Jacket by Karlie
- This season, you’ll be seeing a lot of runway-inspired Bodacious pink and Spicy Mustard yellow pairings (from Pantone’s fall color mood board).
- Potter’s Clay russet orange looks good on just about every skin tone!
- Shades of tan (like warm taupe, muted khaki, and soft camel) – this is both a classic and classy color!
- Capelets – Very demure and sultry when paired with some sling back pumps and a velvet ensemble
- Schoolgirl Plaid, like in color-contrasting tweed on a mini skirt styled with a blazer or plain white tee
- Fur stoles – In addition to velvet, statement furs are the takeaway from fashion show runway trends.
- Repurposed denim – gives off very artsy vibes and would look great with fall shoes, such as chunky heeled boots!
Sensation Sandal by Unity in Diversity
For The Adventurous
- Let’s play the over-under game, but this time, with must-have fall clothes! All right? Here we go: turtlenecks under dresses, corsets over slouchy tees.
- Socks with . . . heels? Yep, it’s a thing now! Designers like Hermès and Valentino have thrown ribbed knit hose or stockings under pumps on the runway.
Love our fall trend rundown or have an eye for some seasonal trends we missed?Comment below and check out our posts on how to style your summer shirtdress for the fall by clicking HERE or how to upcycle some of your summery clothing for the autumn-crisp weather by going HERE.
By Olivia Zisman
The Ultimate Moira ...
Moira has given us so much inspiration throughout the seasons. Not only are her looks fashionable, but they exude uniqueness, creativity and confid...Read More
You'll Never Guess ...
Celebrities Who Hate High Heels High-heeled shoes are red carpet essentials for celebrities but that doesn't mean everyone enjoys wearing them. Fr...Read More
Teaching During COV...
What subject do you teach and what grade?I teach English to 10th Graders.How has your job role changed during the pandemic?To be honest, I could ...Read More