Our Top 5 Fashion Movies•
Posted on June 27 2016
Tell us, what do you think of when we say, "fashion movie"? Do the sashaying women of "Sex and the City" come to mind? How about the cutthroat high fashion magazine in "The Devil Wears Prada," where women like Andy Sachs scrambled to make sacrifices for a very demanding boss? Yes, yes. It's true that style icon Carrie Bradshaw has taught us a lot about fashion, but fumbling personal assistant Andy Sachs has taught us a lot about the fashion industry. There are many other movies with great female leads who are celebrated, like Andy, for their sacrifices and business accomplishments in the fashion industry.
To celebrate the ten year anniversary of "The Devil Wears Prada" (we know, we know—TEN YEARS!) we here at Mulberry Muse have made a consolidated list of our top five must-see movies about the fashion world!
In no particular order:
1. "The Devil Wears Prada" (because a whole decade since the premiere is cause for celebration)
2. "The Intern" - Here is our conspiracy theory about this movie. It also stars Anne Hathaway, right? And it also involves the ever-bustling fashion industry... So naturally, this has to be a sequel to DWP. Pretend Anne Hathaway's character Jules Ostin, founder and CEO of a fast-growing e-commerce fashion startup, is actually the smart and sensible Andy Sachs. All it took was less than a decade for her to climb the career ladder and be in charge of her own company, former (expletive) boss be damned. Throw Robert De Niro's character Ben Whittaker, an endearing (grand-) paternal figure who accepts an intern position in Jules' senior citizen intern program, into the mix, and it makes for a very heartwarming movie.
3. "Funny Face" - Audrey Hepburn. Boom. Done. ... No? That didn't get you? Okay, how about this: Shy bookshop clerk Jo Stockton (Audrey Hepburn) is convinced by charming photographer Dick Avery (Fred Astaire) to fly to Paris to model in a major fashion event and various photo shoots wearing the (oh-so-humble) custom-designed Givenchy gowns. The musically talented will love the many musical numbers in the film, the bookish will love Jo climbing up her swinging ladder inside of a quaint little bookstore, and the well traveled or stylish will love bookseller-turned-model Jo running down the steps of the Louvre waving a red chiffon scarf, fishing along the Seine in a cropped suit and straw hat, and clutching multi-colored balloons in the Jardin des Tuileries wearing a cap-sleeved little black dress.
4. "Coco Before Chanel" - Gentle Disclaimer: This film is in French—but don't be dismayed! English subtitles work wonders, and quite honestly, the emotional substance of the movie transcends language barriers. In a film about the early life of famed French fashion designer, Audrey Tatou stars as Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, a woman who begins as a lowly cabaret singer and seamstress before beginning a love affair with the lord of a large manor, where she stays to entertain him and his guests while also developing her skill at designing hats. She falls in love with a (very handsome) blue-eyed and dark-haired English polo player, Arthur Edward "Boy" Campbell, who also frequents the lord's manor. The catch? This blue-eyed boy is already a taken man! We digress, this is a true rags-to-riches story and is chock full of drama and romance and—best of all—fashion! Coco, quoting Jules Renard, assures that one should always have "a good sense of distaste" when it comes to women's fashion. She ditches the bells and whistles of frills and ruffles and lace for a more masculine look, changing the face of women's fashion forever. A must-see for Chanel lovers!
5. "Clueless" - So, okay. We admit—we're cheating a little with this one. It may not have too much to do with the fashion industry, but Alicia Silverstone's character Cher is the epitome of '90s fashion. It's the perfect throwback movie . . . and has us itching to bring back the plaid separates trend. (This is where some of you spit out As if!!! in a spot-on Cher impersonation.) If you haven't seen it, "Clueless" is the perfect coming-of-age rom-com for when you and your girlfriends want to have a movie night. Let's be honest, we all want to be Cher, a well-intentioned if not slightly superficial Go Girl, because she has THE BEST closet. It literally (a '90s word that hasn't gone away, no matter how much we try) pieces together outfits for her. Yes, you read that correctly. THE BEST.
Now, shoo! Go binge-watch all these movies and come back to us in the comments below. We'd love to hear your thoughts and gush/cringe together about our favorite/least favorite outfits.
By Olivia Zisman
Gingham Fabric - Th...
The Story of Gingham Fashion Everything You Need To Know About The Fabric One fabric that has remained prominent for hundreds of years is gingham....Read More
Brand Spotlight: Ju...
Meet Just Female Just Female is a contemporary womenswear brand based in Copenhagen with an environmentally friendly approach to fashion. The b...Read More
5 Fashion Trends fo...
Spring Outfit Ideas 2021 - Standout Trends to Try Last year's fashion week demonstrated an entire new identity. Because of the pandemic, designers...Read More